Monday, May 21, 2012

Compartmentalized: Complete

The past few weeks, I've taken a break from writing to focus on other things.  Mostly focusing on doing nothing.  I practice and study random things here and there, but for the most part I had to take a creative hiatus. I don't know how Trane or Miles did it without going COMPLETELY insane... although that is up for debate.

I'm actually listening to trombone players for once.  I know I've publicly said I hate the sound of my instrument and that the literature is a drag.  And that is what prompted me to write new music and constantly manipulate sound.

Of course I still look up to my man Dave Taylor, but I don't hear a bass trombone when he plays... I hear something different. Like with Miles, I never heard trumpet, or Brecker, I never heard Sax.

Back to the matter at hand, I am currently doing research on original bass trombone compositions and of course discovered pieces (hundreds actually) that I have never heard of.  Granted, most of them are poorly written, but they gave me an idea of what composers expect from our instrument.

I haven't been writing lately because I don't really hear anything new.  I can come up with random melodies and harmonies... but I don't have any heart in them.

I think most importantly what is going on in my head is a conflict of interest.  Compositionally, I am done writing for duo (at the moment) but I haven't recorded them yet... so the project is still active.
I want to write more fusion stuff at the moment... but I don't actually want to write it out... I want to get comfortable with a group and just let things happen.

Then academically, I want to start writing for large mixed chamber ensembles.  All on top of my normal class load.

I'll eventually get it figured all out... It isn't like I am on a deadline or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment