Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The things we read

Most of the literature I read now-a-days are biographies.
Mostly because I'd rather read about how a person became what we know, but also to weed out the bullshit you hear about everyone.

Tonight I was reading something about George Roberts. If you aren't familiar with him, he is Mr. Bass Trombone. One of those highly influential LA studio musicians that made his presence felt.

Of course I have the upmost respect for Mr. Roberts, and his sound and passion are something to take into account, but to me, he isn't a hero of mine.  His philosophy behind music just doesn't sit well with me.  Although I agree with many things he says, I just have an a feeling it is easy to say those things when you are making a surplus in cash.

 For example:

"Eventually, you're going to have to play something beautiful for somebody. And if you can't, I think you've got serious problems. You've got to have, first of all, like a feeling of love for everybody. Hate loses. Negativity loses. That style always is a no-no. I can't remember when I heard a real--I can't use the word on your tape--but I can't remember when I've heard one of those type of people ever play anything really beautiful. They're too angry. That's not right. That isn't music."


A beautiful statement, but I am a human being and I don't have the capability to love everyone.
Yes, hate and negativity loses, and I agree that you will have to play something beautiful for someone, but that is a bold assumption to think you know what other people think is beautiful.

There is beauty in everything, and for some artists, getting that negativity out may be our way to get to the beauty.  Perhaps through that journey we find something beautiful.

Again, it is easy to look back on your life and make these kinds of statements, but in the moment, you are just trying to pay your bills, eat, and JUST maybe at the same time you are filling the void where words leave off.







No comments:

Post a Comment