Thursday, December 13, 2012

Silence is deadly

Taking a break from practicing and composing and thought I would blog.

I'm in my last week of Texas for the semester. No finals or anything, just needed some time to gather my funds to drive back home!!

Yeah, it's been a rough semester money wise, but shit happens.

So what do I do to not think about the lack of cash flow right now?
I practice and compose... and perform occasionally.

Maybe it is just me, but this place is dead right now... the small group scene is happening for sure...
but large ensemble stuff is lame.  I don't want to play "In the Mood" one more time.

Right now I have Pandora playing "Mostly Others Do the Killing" and that is what I want to play right now... this Don Cherry style composition mixed with different flavors that each musician brings to the group.


And then I think... there are so many performers out there today that will ever appreciate the longest second of their life... that moment of finishing a piece of music that no one has heard... and the audience not knowing if it is over.... and if they should applaud.. or if they even liked it...

That moment of silence is amazing.  It is deafening... that is the job of the performer... to convince someone into liking what you have to say

I think most artists are afraid of failure, and that silence is failure to them.  Innovators are the ones who don't have time to look up to see "failure" (JK).

Moral of the story, keep going, failure is relative.


No comments:

Post a Comment