Monday, January 2, 2012

... and I'm back

I stopped blogging awhile ago because it became littered with garbage and became too personal. Not that I am trying to forget about that stuff, just felt like it wasn't worth publishing for the masses.

There are great story tellers out there, so why ruin it with blogs.
So why do another blog?  Eh, why not?
Because 140 characters just isn't enough anymore?
Because I want to complain?
 Who cares anymore, it gives me something to do and gets me back into the habit of typing again.

SO to pick up where I last left off:
My dad passed away in March of 2011. Yes, it sucks, I miss him but life goes on and he didn't raise me to be a postmortem pansy.  He held on long enough to get the news that got into UNT to start my DMA.
On that note, I graduated with my Master's in Jazz from MSM.  The relationships that I made there are going to last a lifetime.  If there is anything that my master's taught me, is that you can't take on something of great difficulty alone.  You need friends there every step of the way to keep you sane.  Besides, at the end of the day, it's the people you hang with that are going to make you famous.

The summer was great. It started with a regular 2 week gig getting paid decent money and hanging with old friends. Booze, bitches and music; what else do you need.  As soon as that was finished I began working at The Governor's School for the Arts and had a blast.  It is great to teach driven kids who want nothing more than to be creative and expressive.  I had a little time off and began working my normal band camp and such. A little less rewarding especially if you consider additional staff input and childish behavior.  Regardless, it gave me plenty of time and money to get my ass down to Texas.

My first semester was pretty good, met some great cats and have had some great hangs.  Of course you know I have some stories to tell, but you will need to hang out with me to hear them.  Classes are rewarding and my playing is getting better. The only stifling thing is the creativity around there.  Everyone is stuck in the past and aren't looking ahead.  They don't think the same way that New Yorkers think (naturally) something as simple as articulation can make you the next big thing.  

Looking forward into the new year I have big plans.  First things first, is to get my first album recorded.  I'm looking forward to getting my man Steve Newcomb down to play and record.  Show these Texans how we do MSM style!!  Secondly, get going hard on this recital requirement deal (3 performing and a lecture) likewise my thesis so I can finish on time.  The unfortunate thing is that I don't really like playing with the rhythm brothers down here as much as I did back in the city, so I probably fly a crew down for those as well.  Everyone is always up for a hang in the music world.  

I'm also looking forward to a chance to go to the Lucerne Music Festival this summer.  I'm feeling really good about my playing and I have never been to Europe.  If anything, just to get the experience. 

On a smaller level, I'd like to get something published this year. Music, or an article. Anything really.

As of right now I am in Ky relaxing and enjoying good family and friends.  
That's enough catching up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment