Monday, January 9, 2012

A generation of men raised by women

Is one of my favorite quotes from Fight Club, but it holds merit in the real world as well. By no means am I saying that being a boy raised by a woman is a bad thing, but I certainly think that a young boy needs a male figure in his life.  Obviously comes the argument of what a positive role model is and all that garbage, but at the end of the day, there are some things that a boy can't learn from a woman.

I often wonder what my life would have been like if I had grown up with a consistent female figure in my life.  I honestly believe I would have turned out completely different.  (yes, I do believe in nature vs. nurture)

Then I notice that I have a close group of friends who were strictly raised by their father (or some other paternal figure) and realized that we appeared to be much more well suited to society, reality and all of its struggles, ingenuity and overall well being.  Of course this isn't all inclusive and as we get older, we choose exactly what we take from our experiences and how they shape us.

I guess what I am dancing around is, how our culture rewards uncharacteristic behaviors of boys and girls based on their upbringing.  When someone finally comes out on facebook, they are greeted with congratulatory fame. Why?  When some boy is defended by his older brother against his dad for wanting "a female oriented game" he is applauded. Why?  Just as that boy has a right to get that game, his father has a right to be upset.  You may not agree with the principal, but who are you to decide what is right and wrong to begin with?  What if came I out on facebook and very bluntly said how I shifted some girls insides last night? Would I be applauded? No, so why should something so minuscule as coming out of the closet be so championed?

I guess at the end of the day I don't see any one circumstance any more important than another.  Everything and everybody is treated equal in my book. Some people get upset with me, but it is truly the only fair way of dealing with individuals.

Let's be honest, there are only (insert arbitrary number) situations in the world.  Whether it be money, people, religion, whatever... they are all the same.  The only thing that changes are the places and the faces. Once you figure out how to deal with the situation, it can only get easier and easier.

Although I may be spouting out things you already know, it doesn't necessarily mean you agree. That's great. If everyone agreed we wouldn't have conversation... then again... if everyone agreed we wouldn't have conflict.

It may seem that I have really gotten away from my point of having a strong male figure and just started ranting, but all of my views and ideas were derived from one person.
My dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment